We aim to serve God through:
Sleat & Strath Free Church is a congregation of the Free Church of Scotland. We were formed in 2001 through the merger of the Sleat Free Church and Strath (Broadford) Free Church congregations.
Within the very broad range of what is called “Christian” we identify ourselves Evangelicals, we stand within the Reformed tradition, our church government is Presbyterian, and within the Scottish context we have our roots in the Disruption of 1843. Our beliefs are [sort of] summarised in The Westminster Confession of Faith.
The congregation’s area “covers” the whole of the South End of the Isle of Skye. This includes Kyleakin, the first village on the Skye side of the Skye Bridge; the townships around Broadford; and the Sleat peninsula – described as the Garden of Skye, thanks to its mild micro-climate and fertile soil. We have buildings in each of these three areas:
Sleat – the church (and manse) is 200 yards up the Sasaig Road, in the village of Teangue. The church is well signposted (Sasaig Road is opposite the old church, now privately owned), and is a modern building.
Kyleakin – the church is on the main street in Klyeakin, next door to “Saucy Mary’s” bar and hostel. The church is an attractive older building, with distinctive round windows, whose stained glass design incorporates the traditional emblem of the Scottish Reformed Church, the Burning Bush.
Broadford – the church in Broadford is now in a poor state of repair, and is no longer in use. Since January 2011, we hold meetings at Broadford Village Hall (every Sunday but the last each month) at 5:00pm.
The congregation is a Charity registered in Scotland. Our registration number is SCO34148. Copies of our accounts and trustees report are available on request.